It’s been a while since my last update, sadly. But understandably, I have been crazy busy finishing up my job in Urbana, moving out of my home at school and back into my home at home, working as a camp counselor for a week, and tying up a lot of last-minute ends before I leave for China. BUT I figured it was about time for a pre-departure post. So here we go.
Most people make pre-departure posts, and then post nothing at all once they get into the country that they are traveling to because they are having way too good of a time.
I hope I have a good time! But I am also hoping I don’t forget to document it, either. I want to be able to remember my trip!
But really. Less than a week away, I leave for Shanghai in 6 days. I am everything you can think of being. Nervous, jumpy, on edge. But also excited, motivated, and inspired. There is so much I want to accomplish this semester! But so much I have left to do in these 6 days!
So, in lieu of a traditional blog post describing the city that I”m going to (honestly, just go look up Shanghai on Wikipedia…. cause that’s where I would be getting the information from anyways), I’m going to make a few lists. Because lists are just about the ONLY thing that make me feel OK at this point.
Things I would like to accomplish this semester:
- Significantly improve my Chinese
- Make Chinese friends
- Connect with AIESEC in China (AIESEC is an international organization I’m in at my home university)
- Work on my research for my senior research project that explores why Chinese English learners make certain mistakes in English
- Get lost and find myself (again). I have the belief that you need to get lost and find yourself several times in life.
- Say yes to everything! Be open minded and learn a completely new way of life.
Things I have to do before I leave on THURSDAY!!!!!!!!!!!:
- PACK! (OMG PACKING!!!! this is going to be a difficult task.)
- Practice my Chinese?? (we’ll see how that goes…)
- Create a final copy of my research instrument (the test that I plan to administer to Chinese participants!)
- Make copies and prints of everything important that I might ever need.
- Say goodbye to all of my family and friends.
- Get a few last-minute vaccinations……. why did I wait so long to do that?!
- Make one final trip to Champaign (my college town) to take care of some last-minute business.
- Have some delicious American food to conclude an awesome summer.
I’m sure I’m missing a lot…. but I think I’ve pretty much covered the basics here.
I can’t believe it’s only 6 days away. This time next week, I’ll be in China!!!
Oh, and here’s a picture of my puppy, who I will miss very very very much.